Some People Should be Kept Very Far From Customers
There are some people who should be kept very far from customers. We’ve all met them.
Customer service isn’t a department or a job, it’s an attitude. It requires the willingness and the courage to put the needs of others first. People who are self-absorbed, narcissistic and either oblivious or uncaring about the people around them don’t last very long in a customer service environment. (They don’t succeed in very many environments, in fact – but that’s a discussion for a different time).
Check Out Twitter
If you want to get an idea of the type of people who should never have been hired for a customer service job, just check out Twitter. Here are a few recent tweets from people who are really in the wrong occupation:
- “I hate Customers, and I hate giving Customer service
- “Arguing with an idiot is one of the most frustrating things ever. -Like our customers”
- “Iwanna f***ing roundhouse kick everyone of these customers in the f***g head. Especially the old ass one”
- “I Need To Think Of Some Good Lies To Tell My Customers Over The Phone”
- “I can’t figure out who I hate dealing with more, customers or vendors”
- “I hope my customers know how little I care…”
- “I’d rather be at the beach right now 🙂 ! I hate customers lol #workingsucks“
- “I really hate customers at work. Like why must you try and ruin my day!!!”
- “Working in customer service has made me realize something about myself… I HATE “CUSTOMERS!!!
This begs three questions:
- Why do people who hate customers go into customer service jobs?
- Why do they stay there?
- Who is hiring these people for customer service jobs?